List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: So we really want *pixel* sizes (was Font size setting inconsistency in kcontrol)
From:       Lars Knoll <lars () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-01-28 15:46:36

On Sunday 28 January 2001 12:24, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> On Saturday 27 January 2001 22:25, Lars Knoll wrote:
> > No, I was referring to point size. Point size is independent of display
> > resolution. a 72pt font should always be about 1 inch high, independent
> > of the display. a 72px font is 1inch high on a 72 dpi display, but only
> > .6 inch high on 120dpi.
>
> Then I don't understand why we want to use point sizes. Why do you want
> fonts to remain at a fixed physical size regardless of the screen
> resolution, while *everything else* (widgets, icons...) varies ?

How often do yuo change your resolution? Once, when you setup your machine,
or when you buy a new monitor/graphics card. How hard is it to go into the
settings dialog and change the font sizes? And, if you really want the
effect, that fonts get smaller when you change to a higher resolution, just
tell your XServer to always start at 75 dpi. I don't really think this is a
problem.

Regards,
Lars