List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Font size setting inconsistency in kcontrol with DPI > 75 (more info)
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-01-27 21:08:46

On Saturday 27 January 2001 23:03, Lars Knoll wrote:

> KDE/Qt use point sizes, and this means that a 10pt font will always have
> the same _physical_ size on the screen (if you take a ruler, it will still
> have the same size in mm).

Unfortunately I cannot confirm that. It _DOES_ work once I set the fonts. In
that case it actually works exactly the way you describe and I have no
problems whatsoever.

But if I start an app the first time (e.g. after installation or deleting the
config file) the apps default to wrong point sizes (NOTE: _point sizes_, and
thus also visible sizes). At least the default KWrite, Konsole and KMail
fonts are wrong, KWrite and Konsole being too small (SMALLER than on
1280x1024!) and KMail being too large (MUCH larger than on 1280x1024).
Maybe this is caused by the earlier mentioned pixels sizes that are used by
some apps. At least that explains why after selecting a custom font in the
font dialog everything works fine.

Maybe I should have said this in my first mail, but I forgot about that,
apologies :-/
At least it seems to be a KDE problem and even app-specific.

Hmm... food for thought...

Regards,

Martijn