List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Font size setting inconsistency in kcontrol with DPI > 75 (more info)
From:       Lars Knoll <lars () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-01-27 18:15:31

On Saturday 27 January 2001 18:30, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Sam, 27 Jan 2001, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> > - in kcontrol, look'n feel->fonts, click on "use defaults". For "File
> > Manager" fonts I get helvetica 7, which looks fine.
> >
> > - go to "File Browsing", "Appearance" tab, select "small" font, apply.

> > 10, way too big.
>
> oh. that sounds like a bug.
>
> > But more generally, the problem is that the current hardcoded *point*
> > sizes don't look very good for DPIs higher than 75 : fonts are just too
> > big. Even the "small" setting for konqueror font in filebrowsing mode is
> > quite large on my screen.
>
> Well, thats the reason why we use point sizes - because they scale
> automatically with the dpi. after all, The problem is which policy we
> should use.. right now we mix both, which is bad.

Point sizes. Higher resolution displays will come up more often in the
future, and we don't want to have huge fonts on these. The above sounds like
a bug, but all the other complaints I got up to now where from people that
had (completely) wrong dpi settings for their display. That's a case, that
should perhaps be added to the FAQ. Something like "how do I get my XServer
to run at the right DPI settings for my mointor and resolution".

Lars

--
Lars Knoll
Software Engineer