List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Feature freeze and message freeze
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () rz ! tu-ilmenau ! de>
Date:       2001-01-16 14:46:50

On Tuesday 16 January 2001 14:57, David Faure wrote:
>On Tuesday 16 January 2001 14:51, aleXXX wrote:
>
>> I think the two main goals for 2.2 should be:
>> 1. speed improvement
>
>Funny how everyone keeps condemning speed... I tested KDE 2.1beta1
>on a PII 200 / 24 M and I found it ok. There's always room for improvement,
>but I'm surprised you're listing this as a top priority.
>I'd consider bugfixing more important ("it doesn't work" is more of a
> problem than "it works but slowly"). Just my two cents.

Because the "it doesn't work"-time is for me over since 2.0 :-)
(except the strange complete locks of X I experience in the last days) :-(

Here on a K6 200/128 MB it works ok, but not *fast*.
E.g. starting konqy from kicker is ok, it takes *much* longer if the cpu is a
little bit busy (e.g. xmms playing mp3's).
Starting konqy from konsole is slow (I know kdeinit, but nevertheless),
is slow (i.e. noticable, maybe 0.5 secs), handling *large* pics is slow,
koffice apps are slow (i.e. the time from choosing a template until the
document window has completed), kde startup is acceptable ( I know it was
much slower a long time ago), khtml could be faster ( I know there is much
work done on khtml), small apps start slow, the konqy-configure dialog starts
slow, switching between large folders (500 messages) in kmail is slow, and
probably many more.

It would be nice if I could install KDE 2 on the P133/32 of my girl friend :-)
(ok, I didn't try yet)
to make the phrase "linux requires less resources" at least partly true again
:-)

Maybe XMLGUI could be acceleerated ?
Just some thoughts, didn't try, didn't measure, nothing:
AFAIK e.g. konqy loads everytime several xml-files: the global konqy one, my
private konqy one, two times the one for the listview (I have two views open).
Would it help to create after parsing and merging a binary file of this
information, which only has to be updated if one of the source files changed ?
This would save parsing and merging, I didn't test (I'm no expert in XMLGUI
stuff), but I think it could help.
Could ksycoca be used for this ?

>> 2. koffice/kword
>
>Definitely.