List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Feature freeze and message freeze
From:       Neil Stevens <multivac () fcmail ! com>
Date:       2001-01-16 14:43:32

On Tuesday 16 January 2001 05:57 am, David Faure wrote:
> Funny how everyone keeps condemning speed... I tested KDE 2.1beta1
> on a PII 200 / 24 M and I found it ok. There's always room for
> improvement, but I'm surprised you're listing this as a top priority.
> I'd consider bugfixing more important ("it doesn't work" is more of a
> problem than "it works but slowly"). Just my two cents.

I run a PPro clocked at 233 with 96MB, and KDE runs fine for me when I
compile it correctly.  I would call upon those who condemn KDE's speed to
make sure they compile optimized builds, and turn on compiler options to
take full advantage of the instruction sets of their processors.

Windows software these days normally will advertise that it requires a
Pentium processor... I very much doubt they're shipping with binaries that
will run on a 386.  For KDE to get comparable performance, it needs the
same benefit, especially since gcc might not be optimising as well as the
non-free compilers often used in the Windows world.

--
Neil Stevens
multivac@fcmail.com

keyserver search.keyserver.net
Fingerprint 86EA ECD4 F258 FB1B D88F 9136 4F49 90F8 CD3E 5C1C