List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Speed issues on app load
From:       Keith Packard <keithp () keithp ! com>
Date:       2001-01-02 3:04:23

> I'll have it fixed in a while.  Xft wants to find out what fonts are
> available and instead of using a (probably broken) font "directory" file,
> it simply opens each font.  This can be somewhat slow with a lot of fonts
>
> My plan was to build a caching mechanism when people complained.  I didn't
> expect complaints so soon; most people have very few TrueType fonts.

That took longer than I'd expected; the key was collecting a CD full of
4000 really ugly fonts to play with.

Font properties are now cached per directory, with a per-user backup in
case the target directories are unwritable.  App startup, even with all
4000 of the ugliest fonts imaginable, is less than 1/2 second.  Without
caching, it was somewhat slower (about 20 seconds).

These changes are in the XFree86 repository on the trunk; I don't imagine
adding this to the 4.0.2 branch as the current code "works", for some
suitably weak definition of "works".

keithp@keithp.com	 XFree86 Core Team		SuSE, Inc.