List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Speed issues on app load
From:       Keith Packard <keithp () keithp ! com>
Date:       2000-12-21 18:07:12

> Nah, every Corel CD ships a few thousand TTF's ;)

Check.  One cache coming up.  I've got a screaming power supply that needs
fixing before I can start on that though.

> Are there plans to move the stuff into the server (at least font glyph
> rendering / information sharing ?)

Glyphs are already stored in the server and shared among applications.
Otherwise, you'd have horrible performance.  Applications do rasterize
their own glyphs and ship them to the server, but that's done incrementally
and the results are not saved in the client.

As for sharing the rasterization results, that's something I've considered
for a while and haven't really come up with a satisfactory answer.  If it
gets to be a serious problem, I'll look at it again.  There's no memory
savings; the glyphs are tossed in any case.

keithp@keithp.com	 XFree86 Core Team		SuSE, Inc.