List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kio multithreading
From:       Matt Newell <newellm () proaxis ! com>
Date:       2000-12-30 9:43:32

On Friday 29 December 2000 19:07, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Friday 29 December 2000 16:27, Thomas wrote:
> > When downloading lots of files I seem to be unable to start more then 5
> > download instances. When I click on a 6th I see a spinning gear until
> > another stops and then it immidiately pops-up.
> >
> > Is there a hard-coded maximum ??
>
> Yes and this is a design problem. The kio scheduler is able to schedule
> slaves to jobs. This works nice, e.g. you can create 50 jobs and then the
> scheduler will allocate 5 slaves that will handle these jobs.
>
> The problem starts when you have 5 long-lasting downloads going. The
> scheduler will not create more slaves but waits for one of the slaves that
> are busy to finish first.
>
> I can fix that problem by lifting the limit of 5, essentially putting the
> scheduler out of business, but that creates problems when you e.g.
> recursively copy a directory-tree, because then you suddenly get 200 slaves
> or so.
>
> So if anyone has an idea how to solve this I'm interested to hear it.
>
> Cheers,
> Waldo

First of all, would it be possible for the clients to specify what kind of
job they are?  I want my webpages to have downloading preference over some
file that I am downloading in the background.

Second, why not have an option in kcontrol to specify how many simultanious
downloads?

Also, it would be nice if the schedular was kind of a download manager with a
gui frontend.  Then you could pop up the front end and pause a download or
whatever.  This would also solve the problem of having multiple dialogs
cluttering your desktop/taskbar.

Matt Newell