On Friday 29 December 2000 19:07, Waldo Bastian wrote: > On Friday 29 December 2000 16:27, Thomas wrote: > > When downloading lots of files I seem to be unable to start more then 5 > > download instances. When I click on a 6th I see a spinning gear until > > another stops and then it immidiately pops-up. > > > > Is there a hard-coded maximum ?? > > Yes and this is a design problem. The kio scheduler is able to schedule > slaves to jobs. This works nice, e.g. you can create 50 jobs and then the > scheduler will allocate 5 slaves that will handle these jobs. > > The problem starts when you have 5 long-lasting downloads going. The > scheduler will not create more slaves but waits for one of the slaves that > are busy to finish first. > > I can fix that problem by lifting the limit of 5, essentially putting the > scheduler out of business, but that creates problems when you e.g. > recursively copy a directory-tree, because then you suddenly get 200 slaves > or so. > > So if anyone has an idea how to solve this I'm interested to hear it. > > Cheers, > Waldo First of all, would it be possible for the clients to specify what kind of job they are? I want my webpages to have downloading preference over some file that I am downloading in the background. Second, why not have an option in kcontrol to specify how many simultanious downloads? Also, it would be nice if the schedular was kind of a download manager with a gui frontend. Then you could pop up the front end and pause a download or whatever. This would also solve the problem of having multiple dialogs cluttering your desktop/taskbar. Matt Newell