List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: roaming kde config?
From:       David Sweet <dsweet () andamooka ! org>
Date:       2000-12-19 13:35:37

On Tuesday 19 December 2000 08:17, Thomas wrote:
> > Alex Zepeda wrote:
> > >
> > > It should be pretty simple to do... simply migrate kstddirs to KURLs
> > > and have KConfig and the like use KIO instead of QFile/read/write.
> >
> > Oh gosh - that's the next level. We started with hardcoding paths, then
> > we used getenv("KDEDIR"), then we used KApplication::kdedir(), then
> > KApplication::kde_configdir(), now kstddirs and now we're even network
> > transparent? That would be overcool - but it would slow down KDE as well
> > I'm afraid
>
> Maybe a stupid comment, but what about a system that downloads your config.
> Most important thing I see is that I can start working in my own personal
> environment when I go to another computer. Things like storing my bookmarks
> or which toolbars I had enabled are a lot less important to me. I would
> choose for a system that would download _all_ of my settings and would
> allow me the possibility to upload that when I am finished working. But the
> last step is not really important to me either.
>
> Features like uploading whenever I contact the internet or things like that
> would be nice.

I think a manually invoked "synchronize desktops" would be doable.  We could
make a tarball, use scp to copy it to the remote computer, and ssh to invoke
a program on the other end.  This avoids a daemon and is fairly secure.  I
think ssh/scp are common enough to require for a task like this as well.

An even better plan would be to "merge" the desktop settings of the two
accounts (think of the KDE addressbook, for example).  Maybe the way to go is
to invoke a program on the remote machine to make a tarball, the grab it with
scp and "merge remote settings with local" only since merging will, most
likely, need interaction.

Dave

--
http://www.andamooka.org
Andamooka: Open support for open content.