List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KTelnet for 2.0
From:       Cristian Tibirna <tibirna () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-12-13 1:00:45

On Tuesday 12 December 2000 13:34, Richard Moore wrote:
> http://www.spaghetti-code.de/software/linux/ktelnet/
>
> Now that there's a 2.0 version of this app, how about adding it
> to kdenetwork?

I followed the rather large discussion on this topic and I came to the
conclusion people don't get what this app is about.

It is really a nice useful tool. For people that have to access many
machines, all at a time, on a daily basis. Yes, there are *lots* of this kind
of users around (sys admins, for one category).

Its main strenght and usefulness comes not from it supporting telnet. But
from it allowing some sort of automatic config of the connecting client
(terminal etc.) based on which connection is achieved. This allows for
color/font/title differentiations between multiple open sessions.

OK, this is what Martin (Martin Häfner), the author of KTelnet - a very nice
person that allowed and trusted me to help him with the KDE-1 version of this
app - did with KTelnet even in KDE-1 versions. What he was looking for even
then, and what he seems to have achieved now in an amazingly short time, is a
way of modularizing the program so that, either by scripting, or by compiled
modules, complex actions be taken at connection time. He was needing this for
tediously repetitive connection procedures he was doing over firewalls etc.
(good old free software principle: he wrote it because he needed it).

The application was naturally popular in KDE-1 (even if not included with the
main packages) and I've got quite some mail (dunno about Martin, but I
believe that him too).

I believe this is a nice app and it would be a gesture of justice to have it
added to kdenetwork. NOTE: this report is purely altruistic and should be
taken only as a report from a pleased user, as I'm no more involved in
KTelnet2 code. Martin did all by himself.

CT