List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    This is a useful tip? (fwd)
From:       Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero () redhat ! de>
Date:       2000-12-11 21:47:22

I've just received a "bug report" on Kandalf's tips:

> In "Kandalf's useful tips" window that shows up at startup of kde-2.0.1,
> this tip showed up:
>
>   "KDE does not contain any GPL'd code that is copyrighted by the Free
>    Software Foundation"
>
> Is this something to be proud of, and is it a tip at all?

I have to agree with this; I'm all for removing this particular tip.

While I agree 100% that some fanatic followers of the FSF have done a lot
of bad things(tm) for KDE, I think we shouldn't do stuff like this to put
even more distance between KDE and the FSF.

Knowing that we don't use any FSF-copyrighted code won't help a newbie,
and the fact that we're pointing it out this way might make them think
the FSF is a bad thing(tm), which definitely isn't the case [what would we
do without gcc and [for most of us] glibc?

Any other opinions?

LLaP
bero