List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Adding MD5-C++ implemetation to kdelibs
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-12-11 2:57:58

On Sunday 10 December 2000 19:10, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 08:45:56PM -0300, Roberto Alsina wrote:
> anyways my current thought (as I howl along to Depeche Mode) was that
> maybe these belong in kio... why?  Well for instance the Digest
> authentication dealie I'm working on is part of the SASL spec which copied
> it nearly verbatim from the HTTP spec meaning that nearly every ioslave
> should have access to the various authentication md5-digest routines (in
> this case class.. but still).  And then, the md5 stuff.. well the majority
> of the KDE apps needing MD5 routines are also going to link against kio,
> right?

Well I definitely agree with the premise that most application that will need to make
use of the message digest as well as digest authentication will also need the services
of libkio ; so it does make sense to build this into kio.  However, I personally do not
want to predict that will be the case down the line since I do not know.  Specially if
this new library is small enough, then IMHO it would be wise to make it separate and
have whichever applications that need it link against it.  Of course, others might
disagree.

The other thing you brought up regarding Digest authentication is also something I tackled
and started to integrate from kio_http into this class as well, but since you are doing the
same thing I am going to hold off until we can get this coordinated first.  So how should
we handle this ?  Should we put these things (MD5, base64, digest authentication) in one
separate library or as a part of kio ? With what base code should we being.  I have already
provided one for MD5, but Alex might have another implementation as well and the digest
authentication and base64 codes perhaps can be copied from http as a base ?

Regards,
Dawit A.