List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Resolution requirement?
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2000-11-25 22:45:37

Thomas wrote:

> > Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> > >
> > >    Hi!
> > >
> > > Do we require that KDE works reasonable under a certain resolution, like for
> > > instance 640*480? I am asking because I just did some changes to the aRts
> > > KControl module, which makes it a bit larger, and so it probably doesn't fit
> > > any longer on such a screen.
> > >
> > > It's not the only module which is that large (looknfeel -> keybindings is
> > > large, too), but I could of course go for tabs to make it smaller.
> >
> > IIRC there is no written rule (maybe we should have one) but it's
>
> There is on in the styleguide. 800x600 is the minumum we develop for.
>
> > certainly much nicer if you show some sympathy for people with smaller
> > screens (laptops!). We had quite a few bug reports about this in KDE
> > 1.x.
>
> I hope no-one has that kind of screen anymore ;)

Actually I think for a while in the future those small screen will get
increasingly popular -- palmtops, webpads and the like.  This is the one
platform where KDE could really take off and get nice market share, but of
course not if it won't work b/c minimum screen size if 800x600.

Ciao,

Andreas Pour

http://www.kde.com/ :  Everything KDE
http://apps.kde.com/:  The Latest in KDE Applications