List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Why the K-Menu sucks
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antlarr () arrakis ! es>
Date:       2000-10-31 1:09:09

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer escribi=F3:
> =

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Antonio Larrosa wrote:
> =

> > We already have submenus in kicker, what are they used for ?
> > ... Guess what ? ... to Categorize the applications !
> =

> Yes, but it's quite annoying to have to click through a lot of one-entr=
> menus... Using the submenus to do all the categorization would mean stu=
ff
> like
> K > Applications > Internet > Mail Clients > KMail
> Which is quite time-consuming to select.
> =

That's why we allow the users to add their own buttons to the panel.

> > Think for example in this: We already have a submenu "Editors"
> > with all the editors, why don't we have a submenu "Mail Clients" ?
> =

> Because by default, we have only one (and most newbies will tell you
> "why do you have 200 mail clients? I want to use one!"), and submenus f=
or
> only one entry aren't very nice.
> =

That's why I said : (quoting my own mail)

If you're going to tell me that it's because there aren't
so many mail clients, well, we can always make kicker show submenus
with only one item in the parent menu, so that submenus always
have at least 2 applications.

Perhaps I didn't explained it too well.
When there is just a single item in K/Internet/Mail Clients
we can show it inside K/Internet (even if it's inside its own
folder), and when there are two or more items, we show the submenu
It's plain and it's simple.
The only problem is that we're moving things from the user point
of view, but I guess it's not that difficult for them to notice
the submenu if they're inteligent enough to install a new mail
client. =

I don't know how difficult it's to do that anyway.

> Agreed - it's why I like the "extra field in desktop file" suggestion.
> People who prefer it can see "KMail", "Konqueror" and all - people who
> don't have a clue can see "Web Browser", "Mail Client" etc. to help the=
> get started.
> =

As mentioned in other mails in this thread "Mail Client" is not enough,
and then we come back to my reasoning.

Greetings,

Btw, bero, KMid is not included in RH's kdemultimedia package just
because (as mentioned in the packagers list) it needed KDEDIR to be
set when configuring. Would you please create a new package ?
(yes, it was my mistake, but it was mentioned on that list and
I've just fixed it in CVS, both branches)
--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
KDE core developer