List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: alpha icons
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-10-30 21:04:26

Antonio Larrosa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As you know, I've already commited some patches to support alpha
> icons in kicker based on Rik's cool blend method.
>
> Before I continue doing so for other apps, I'd like to know
> your opinion on something. Is there any disadvantage in using
> QImage objects instead of QPixmaps objects to store icons or images
> in general ?
>
> The problem is that we're currently using Pixmaps to store icons
> everywhere, but the alpha channel on an icon is lost as soon
> as you use a QPixmap object (for example, when you convert
> from QImage to QPixmap and then from QPixmap to QImage, you lose
> the alpha information).
>
> The only solution is 1) use QImages everywhere in applications
> that want to support alpha icons, or 2) as matthias suggested
> me on IRC, have two QPixmap objects, one with the icon/pixmap
> and another one with the alpha channel.
>
> Opinions ? Anyone objecting me to change each icon in a kiconview
> to be stored as a QImage instead of a QPixmap ?
Isn't that special slow? Wouldn't this result in a image to pixmap
conversion on every paint? Or it would take twice as much memory
which doesn't sound good as well. Whatever you do: it shouldn't use
more resources when alpha blending is disabled

And please fix the crashes in
parent()->parent()->parent() ;)

Greetings, Stephan

--
Frauen und Maenner passen vielleicht nicht zusammen, aber meine
allerschoensten Schrammen habe ich mir bei diesem Duell geholt.