List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    alpha icons
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antlarr () arrakis ! es>
Date:       2000-10-30 20:33:35

Hi,

As you know, I've already commited some patches to support alpha
icons in kicker based on Rik's cool blend method.

Before I continue doing so for other apps, I'd like to know
your opinion on something. Is there any disadvantage in using
QImage objects instead of QPixmaps objects to store icons or images
in general ?

The problem is that we're currently using Pixmaps to store icons
everywhere, but the alpha channel on an icon is lost as soon
as you use a QPixmap object (for example, when you convert
from QImage to QPixmap and then from QPixmap to QImage, you lose
the alpha information).

The only solution is 1) use QImages everywhere in applications
that want to support alpha icons, or 2) as matthias suggested
me on IRC, have two QPixmap objects, one with the icon/pixmap
and another one with the alpha channel.

Opinions ? Anyone objecting me to change each icon in a kiconview
to be stored as a QImage instead of a QPixmap ?

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
KDE core developer