List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: X-KDE-NativeMimeType weirdness
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! TU-Berlin ! DE>
Date:       2000-10-30 9:59:53

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 06:00:11PM -0800, Waldo Bastian wrote:

Hi,

> Well, I don't store the modification time of each file. I only know the
> creation date of the database and rebuild when a file with a more recent
> modification date than the database is encountered.
>
> It's clear now that that doesn't work very well.

speaking of kded (I think I brought this topic up a while ago, but I don't
remember the outcome anymore ;( ):
Now that we have a nice KDE2 installation in uni, we'll get more than
hundred kdeds stat'ing the (rather static) /usr/KDE2 hierarchy, which is
NFS-mounted. Not really good for performance.

- is it possible to use probably_slow_mounted() in kded and increase the
  KDirWatch timer in that case?
- Is it possible to exclude parts of KDEDIRS from being monitored and
  just stat the home-dir (still NFS-mounted here)?

And one little buglet, I found:

gis@nevermind:~/src/kde/kdelibs/kio/kded [0] > kdeinit --help
kdeinit: Already running.

True, but not really helpful ;)