List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Focus Follows Mouse
From:       blackie () blackie ! dk (Jesper K !  Pedersen)
Date:       2000-10-28 9:05:24

Matthias Ettrich <ettrich@trolltech.com> writes:

| Some users on kde-devel report that focus follows mouse doesn't work at all.
|
| Sometimes, windows don't get focus although they explicitely move the mouse
| cursor onto them.
|
| I'm not using focus follows mouse, so I test it only briefly from time to
| time. And I cannot reproduce any of the problems.
|
| Is there somebody on kde-core-devel actually using that policy?
I use it every day, but do not have any problems either.

Maybe they get confused by the way things work when they bring up a
transient dialog window (hope thats the correct word ;-)

Here's what happen:
1) You edit window A
2) this window or some other process brings up a transient dialog
window. This dialog window gets focus
3) If the new window is on top of the old, and exp. in such a way that the
mouse cursor is in the new window, then the old window will *not* get focus
if you move mouse to it.

This is of course part of a bigger plan, where the original window do not
regain focus just because you move the cursor one pixel in that window
(remember the cursor is still in the original window, though a new transient
dialog window has the focus)

Hope that helps.
Cheers.