List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Small branch survey
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-10-27 8:26:27

mosfet wrote:

>> >  1) translations aren't there (at least not correctly)

> For almost all the existing code they are. For new code, this adds
> features that aren't even in 2.0. So what would you have, new features
> that may not have all translations or not have the feature at all? I
> know my answer ;-)

> Plus, Mandrakesoft has translators as well ;-)

I would strongly suggest that external translators do not mess with
existing PO files without talking to the KDE language teams first.
Everything else will lead to war between translators and confusion for
the users. Translations are very much a consistency thing and a
coordinated effort.

> This is one of the places KDE is f*cked up. Almost all projects add
> features first, go through a couple releases, and then update
> translations when they are ready. Only KDE freezes things and stops up
> the whole development process waiting for translations.

I guess about everybody already agreed that 2.0 was the last time we
did it that way. OTOH, quite a few contributors here seem to declare
themselves against translation branches like 2.0.1, 2.1.1 and so on as
well. So I would like to know when and how translations and
documentations are supposed to be done? IMO, there is no other way than
such branches.

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000 03:44:08 -0400, Andreas Pour wrote:

>So why should developers wait for translations
>before continuing to develop?  They are two completely separably
>processes (there is no feedback loop, at least not a significant one) --
>the code gets written in English, then when it's "done" it gets
>translated.

There were quite a few code problems that surfaced during the 2.0
translation process. Don't know if you would call them "significant".
But, of course, they have to be fixed (in both branches if there are
two of them).

Regards,

Thomas

---