List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Small branch survey
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-10-26 20:06:28

David Faure wrote:

> > > This is what is supposed to happen !!!!!
> > > The branch was asked by translators. It's mainly for releasing a fully translated
> > > version of 2.0.
> > > The development (including most bugfixes, because most bugfixes are never really
> > > guaranteed to be 100% safe) is done in HEAD. Only critical bugfixes go to the branch,
> > > those that are guaranteed not to break something else.
> > >
> > > If you wanted a branch for stabilising 2.0, we should have decided that way. But
> > > that's not what was decided - we all hate branching the development.
> > >
> > > Did you actually read kde-core-devel before ?
> >
> > We both did. It's just the question about the ETA of 2.1. We could have
> > planned to release a bugfix version in two weeks that would fix the 10
> > most prominent bugs (= 90% of complaints). Are we ?
>
> ... and that would break translations ? If we want to do that, we have to backport
> those fixes and release the branch. Think about what translators would do if
> we released HEAD, with e.g. a completely untranslated bookmark editor
> (you know who to blame :).

I really wouldn't care about translations too much anymore in such
discussions. I really want to see a 2.0.1 more complete translated
and better documented and one that fixes some really grave bugs
(like every FreeBSD user reporting bugs three times :), security
fixes, etc.

But soon after that we should release an english only 2.1. So
we can care that the bookmark editor is undocumented - translations
should follow as second step. This doesn't mean, we support
translators less, but that we put this whole translation business
in a more realistic manner. The message freeze shouldn't last
longer than a couple of days - that's the only realistic frame.

That's what I definitly learned from 2.0

Greetings, Stephan

--
Frauen und Maenner passen vielleicht nicht zusammen, aber meine
allerschoensten Schrammen habe ich mir bei diesem Duell geholt.