List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    A note on the whole ".0" argument
From:       George Staikos <staikos () nitro ! 0wned ! org>
Date:       2000-10-08 15:06:29

Lots of people say, "it's only a .0 release - we're allowed to have bugs
which we can fix in the .1 release".  I don't buy this at all.  .0 release
is STILL a release, and we should be releasing solid code.  We're not some
company who doesn't care about the quality of .0 releases.  We don't want
to turn around and release a plethora of fixpacks just after the .0
release.  We should be proud of the quality of code and release something
solid and polished.  2.0 as it stands in CVS right now is still not solid,
let alone polished.  I don't see any new features going in, which is good.
This means that people are working on the right things.  Why can't this
continue for one or two more weeks?

So you think it's solid?  Segfaults are the worst indicators of not being
solid, and these are still common for many people - starting apps,
stopping apps, running apps.  Ever tried running .0 on a non-Linux or
non-*BSD platform?  There are things that plain don't work on Solaris, for
example.  I would have thought that this is a platform we must be extra
careful to support since SUN is providing GNOME support.  (I'd have more
specific examples for all of this but I'm not at home right now)

Basically what I'm trying to say is this.  Don't release buggy software
hiding behind the argument that it's .0 so it should be expected to have
bugs.  It's not about money or release schedules; it's about our own pride
and about having a good, solid desktop to use on our Unix computers.

George - sick of buggy .0 release software