List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE2 release schedule update
From:       Hans Meine <hans_meine () gmx ! net>
Date:       2000-10-05 14:29:08

Waldo Bastian <bastian@kde.org> writes:

> Some comments:
> > - Immediately after the KDE2 v1.0 release a KDE_2_0 branch will be created.
> > Fixes to this branch will be released as KDE2 1.0.X versions soon after the
> > 1.0 release. The KDE_2_0 branch is not open for feature commits.
>
> I don't think branches are a good idea because they tend to be tested very
> poorly. It effectively splits the developers across two branches. We had that
> situation between KDE 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 and only a few (3? 4?) people did
> actually work on 1.1.2.
Maybe that was the reason it became so rock-stable... ;-))

> I also would like to see a split up of release schedules based on packages.
> This schedule still seems to be based on "release everything together". We
> want more releases more often and this schedules doesn't reflect that.
This is a serious issue. I talked with the aRts-dude Stefan about that. Arts
has much potential and was release separately from KDE in the past and now it
would suffer much from big, monolithic, seldom KDE releases. There are more
examples (mosfet et al) for things which should (and could, that's the fact)
be given to the user in less than half a year after KDE 2.0.

> > - February/March 2001 - KDE2 1.1 release.
..which seems to be quite late from THAT point of view.
Maybe we can release kdelibs, kdebase and/or others seperately in binary
compatible shape more often?

--

   /  /
  /--/