List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Klocale::formatDateTime
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-10-05 14:14:35

Jacek Stolarczyk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm puzzled by the implementation of this function:
>
> QString KLocale::formatDateTime(const QDateTime &pDateTime, bool shortfmt, bool includeSeconds) const
> {
>   return translate("concatenation of dates and time", "%1 %2")
>     .arg( formatDate( pDateTime.date(), shortfmt ) )
>     .arg( formatTime( pDateTime.time(), includeSeconds ) );
> }
>
> What is the reason of putting this translated string there? Shouldn't it
> simply concatenate this two strings without describing its action? We were
> trying to use this function in reply phrase in kmail but that produces
> weird results.

Hmm, it does exactly that but gives the translator a way to change %1
and %2.
When LANG is C, the outcome of this call is "%1 %2" and if the polish
translator
would have worked correctly it would be the same. But now it's:
"_: zestawienie daty i czasu\n"
"%1 %2"

which is of course wrong as the translator translated the comment. But
if you
check de or ru, you will see it is translated correctly.

Greetings, Stephan

--
... but you ain't had mine