List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Does 1 kwm handle 2 monitors/graphic-cards?
From:       Alex Hayward <xelah () xelah ! com>
Date:       2000-09-28 13:58:51

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Falk Brettschneider wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to set such a startkde-configuration for dual-head mode
> of XFree4?:
> - Monitor 1 has got virtual KDE2 desktop 1 and 2.
> - Monitor 2 has got virtual KDE2 desktop 3 and 4.

The best I've managed so far is to start KDE on :0.0 and then manually
start a second copy of kwin on :0.1. This isn't ideal---there's no panel
or backdrop on the second monitor, for instance. [ The two monitors
effectively have two independant sets of virtual desktops.] It doesn't
handle switching between monitors too well either; in particular you can
only transfer the focus by clicking on a window. That means that if you
get yourself stuck with the second monitor on a desktop with no windows
and the focus on your first monitor then you have no way to switch
desktops on the second monitor without opening a new window on it
explicity (ie, with DISPLAY=:0.1 from the first).

This is with plain multi-head, not Xinerama.