List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE2 release schedule update
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kip ! uni-heidelberg ! de>
Date:       2000-09-26 11:44:00

Simon Hausmann wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 02:42:40PM +0200, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > > - February/March 2001 - KDE2 1.1 release.
> >
> > Sorry, but who came up with this completely idiotic
> > versioning-scheme?
>
> Isn't it logic? What we currently have in our CVS contains
> no code from KDE 1.x anymore. It's a rewrite, it's a new KDE,
> it has nothing to do with KDE 1.x .

This might be true for the libraries, although I doubt it. But it is
certainly not true for the applications. There is a lot of KDE 1 code in
the KDE 2 applications and many of them are part of the KDE 2 release.

I think version numbers should increment not decrement. I would hate to
tell people that they need version 1.0 of a new library called KDE2 to
run KOrganizer 2.0, because it's not true. It's nothing completly new.
It's a big step, but it's still KDE.

Please call it KDE 2.0

--
Cornelius Schumacher
Kirchhoff-Institut fuer Physik / ASIC Labor