List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE2 release schedule update
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-09-26 11:41:23

Matthias Elter wrote:

> > And you are sure that your mom or dad or any nondeveloper will
> > immediately get that idea when he/she hears something like
> > "KDE2 1.0"? Version-number aren't made for developers only.
> > If you name the CVS-branch that way -- fine. If you joke
> > about naming it KDE 2 1.0 in an article/interview while
> > explaining the reasons why one should have named it like that,
> > fine too.
>
> I don't get why KDE 1.0 was easier to understand than KDE2 1.0 will be.
> Please explain.

Because people are not used to it. I had to look twice at the name when
I saw it the first time because I didn't get the idea immediately.

> KDE2 1.0.1 ... says the release schedule you might have read not very
> carefull.

Why not name it something like

KDE2-ver1.0-build26092000

provides even more information ....

> > BUT: The versions should also make it easy for the user
> > to distinguish different versions of KDE. So they shouldn't
> > contain more than 2 digits -- which means: something like
> > 2.0 or 2.1 would just be the way to go.
>
> Hm??? And KDE 1.1.2 did contain no more than two digits?

As I tried to tell you: naming it KDE 1.1.2 was already a mistake.
Look at newsgroups and mailinglists: you'll find things like
KDE 1.1.2, KDE 1.2, KDE 2.2.1 and KDE 1.2.1 there without any
problems. The huge majority of KDE-developers back in that time
was *for* naming it 1.2 but mhk and coolo decided against that
for "development"-reasons and reasons of "honesty".

http://www.google.com/search?q=KDE1.2

... numerous entries ...

http://x66.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=656503025.1&CONTEXT=969968442.53280780&hitnum=2

"I'm using kernel 2.2.13, KDE 1.2.1"

Do we really have to repeat that mistake and make it even worse
this time?

Tackat