List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE fragile?
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2000-09-11 8:11:34

Matthias Elter wrote:

[ ... ]

> > Thing is, I'd like to see some obvious bugs fixed before 2.0. Isn't 2.0
> > supposed to be 'perfect' ? As in, we don't know of any bugs ?
>
> You must be living in a dream world! How do you expect KDE 2.0 to be perfect?
> Have a look at KDE 1.0, it was far from perfect. KDE 1.1.2 is. And KDE 2.1.2
> will be. We have a freeze for a long time now. IMHO we have to release and
> move on to KDE 2.0.1 and 2.1.0. Trying to make 2.0 a perfect release is an
> illusion.

Hi,

If I can throw in a perhaps marketing perspective.  I agree that it will
not be, and certainly does not have to be, perfect.  OTOH, it should not
crash every hour, or even every day, when using the principal desktop
applications (I wouldn't be so worried about the koffice and kdegames
stuff; I mean more the panel/wm/browser).  Also there are definitely
some performance issues that need to be worked out.  It doesn't have to
be super-speedy but right now it's kind of a dog compared to kde-1.1.2;
and khtml's rendering speed is nothing like kde-1.1.2, an order of
magnitude slower (of course it can do a lot more but that doesn't
explain all of it).

Undoubtedly KDE will get good reviews in the Linux press, but KDE 2.0
will get a lot of attention in the non-Linux press, and one should
consider whether the first big reports on KDE 2.0 should begin with
"while it's free and a big improvement", "it crashes a lot more than
Windows" and "it's a lot slower than Windows".

Ciao,

Andreas Pour

http://www.kde.com/ :  Everything KDE
http://apps.kde.com/:  The Latest in KDE Applications