List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: System Notification, knotify and Arts => unusable?
From:       Charles Samuels <charles () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-08-31 22:17:39

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> > The first two reasons you mentioned can be measured, and for my system it
> > is something like 30 ms (which is the path from kwin to dcopserver to
> > knotify to artsd, until artsd has initialized an object playing the
> > sample). I did acquire this by inserting two gettimeofday printfs, one
> > into kwin and one in artsd after loading and starting the wave file.
>
> As I said, it was actually knotify. It created at least two KConfig objects
> for eventsrc, which on my system is a 576 lines file. After that, it
> created another KConfig object for kwin's eventrc, that contains 1498
> lines. Building dictionaries for that with the not very fast kconfig
> classes takes some time, noticable time. When I introduce a KConfig cache
> in knotify, things became fast again.
>
> I can't see how your computer could do the same thing in 30ms, though. Can
> we bit hardware? Our dual p3 600 with fast scsi discs apparently is much
> slower than yours.
>
> > Anyway, anything like 1.5 sec shouldn't happen with knotify/artsd, except
> > if you use a sample which starts with 1.2 seconds of silence ;-)
>
> There was no silence, I'm afraid.
>
> I works now, but I really cannot see how this would work that much faster
> on other people's machine....
I had encountered this earlier, but I thought it was merely some generic
stupidity, since this had never happened before.

When I first implemented the daemon, I decided not to load it all into memory
(I assume you are doing this now..) because of memory issues.  It could take
as much as 10kb, I'de expect, which is more than I'de care to see, but then,
it's in reality not very much.

In regards to calling "reparseConfiguration" (a DCOP call [?]), from
kcmnotify I'll get that in this weekend. (unless Carsten volunteers :)

-Charles

--

Charles - charles@kde.org