List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: reporting bugs is way to easy
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-08-29 11:24:23

Matthias Elter wrote:

> Hi
>
> Don't get me wrong, this is no offense against the authors but Dr.Konqi
> sucks! Reporting bugs is way to easy. When it comes to bug reports I prefer
> quality over quantity. Way too many clueless people keep sending me useless
> bug reports that contain nothing but empty backtraces.
>
> Keep in mind that the current user beta release user base is small and
> relatively knowledgeable. Now imagine KDE 2.0 final with it's estimated 10
> Million users. Will we ship the final version with this bug report tool? I
> don't know a single distribution that does not strip it's binaries. So what
> will the automated bug report tool be good for?
>
> If one percent out of 10 Million users will report a bug (and they will,
> given a prominent "send" button like we have now) bugs.kde.org will be
> flooded with 100.000 useless bug reports.
>
> I propose to remove the automated bug report mechanism from Dr.Konqi and
> instead put a pointer to a standalone bug report tool where people actually
> have to explain what happend before they can hit "send" in there.

I would like to propose to make this only if not compiled with
--enable-debug.
If you did, the backtraces are often very useful. If someone got binary
packages,
his bug reports are useless unless he described what's wrong. drkonqi
shouldn't
be more than a 'it died' message box.

Greetings, Stephan

--