List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    reporting bugs is way to easy
From:       m_elter () t-online ! de (Matthias Elter)
Date:       2000-08-29 10:02:37

Hi

Don't get me wrong, this is no offense against the authors but Dr.Konqi
sucks! Reporting bugs is way to easy. When it comes to bug reports I prefer
quality over quantity. Way too many clueless people keep sending me useless
bug reports that contain nothing but empty backtraces.

Keep in mind that the current user beta release user base is small and
relatively knowledgeable. Now imagine KDE 2.0 final with it's estimated 10
Million users. Will we ship the final version with this bug report tool? I
don't know a single distribution that does not strip it's binaries. So what
will the automated bug report tool be good for?

If one percent out of 10 Million users will report a bug (and they will,
given a prominent "send" button like we have now) bugs.kde.org will be
flooded with 100.000 useless bug reports.

I propose to remove the automated bug report mechanism from Dr.Konqi and
instead put a pointer to a standalone bug report tool where people actually
have to explain what happend before they can hit "send" in there.

Bye,
Matthias

--
Matthias Elter