List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror <-> clipboard <-> klipper
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2000-08-26 23:52:21

Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 01:45:18AM +0100, Richard Moore wrote:
>
> Hi Rich,
>
> > I think (but I am far from sure, it is late and I am drunk) that
> > it is possible to get X to tell you when the clipboard changes.
> > If this is true then we could get KApp to notify klipper using
> > an X11 event filter that emits a 'clipBoardChanged()' signal.
>
> actually there is a signal QClipboard::dataChanged(), but the docs don't
> say much about it. The source says:
>
>         /*
>           Since the X selection mechanism cannot give any signal when
>           the selection has changed, we emulate it (for Qt
>           processes) here. [...]
>
> This is not really helpful :-/

No, maybe a Troll could explain?

My understanding was that since the clipboard was handled using
X properties that you could detect changes by asking for a
property changed event. There may be something I'm missing,
I've bought the O'Reilly XLib book so I'll see if it has
anything relevent.

> PS: did you find the problem with kcmknotify?

Yes, my patch was bogus. The problem was that I had some old
autoconf info somewhere which was disabling the run time type
info - since the code used dynamic_cast it crashed. Doing a
complete cvs-clean sorted things out.

The KNotify stuff is a great idea, but at the moment it is
crippled by missing features. There are a bunch of things
that I'd like to see added in 2.1, do you know who is working
on this?

Cheers

Rich.

--