List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Proposal: replace KDOC with Doxygen after 2.0
From:       Peter Putzer <pputzer () edu ! uni-klu ! ac ! at>
Date:       2000-08-23 9:33:04

Hi,

Please have a look at

http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/

Doxygen is a nice documentation tool written in C++ (with Qt) that
supports a superset of the kdoc/javadoc syntax (as well as a more
LaTeX-like one). It's free software available under the GNU GPL.

Currently it supports C++, C, CORBA- and M$-IDL, so it shouldn't be to
hard to extend it to include support for DCOP-IDL.

The author is very active and releases improved versions every few weeks.

IMNSHO we should replace kdoc (which - being written in Perl - has
remained a hack, a very nice hack, but a hack nonetheless) with doxygen
ASAP. It supports far more C++ features (and of course Qt signals and
slots) and can generate HTML, man-pages, LaTeX, RTF and PDF.

Please let's not fall into the "Not Invented Here" syndrome by not using a
clearly superior tool just because "we've got our own".

I'd volunteer to write a conversion script to fix the small discrepancies
in syntax that'll show up when converting large amounts of documentation
after 2.0 is released.

regards,
Peter