List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail IMAP (was: KArchie)
From:       John Corey <john () jcorey ! org>
Date:       2000-07-31 17:44:17

joerg habenicht wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Daniel Naber wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, joerg habenicht wrote:
> >
> > > because I'm working on my thesis right now and have other projects like
> > > imap-kmail and kuml going on.
> >
> > How is that IMAP stuff coming along? The other KMail developers are very
> > interested in this.
>
> well, I had a look into the RFC and shallow look into the imap io-slave.
> If I'm not mistaken, we could try to hack a very basic support into
> kmail. I.e. get a list of available mails of the imap server, get the
> mails and delete mails. It won't be very performant, but a least it could
> work, and that's what everybody initially wants to have.
>
> In my last mailings with Don, he suggested to look into the io-slave
> first, and then try to code the kmail application.
>
> I think, the io-slave may be rather useful right now, so it would be
> better to do a CVS fork and make an imap beta client. This way the HEAD
> revision of kmail can mature for KDE2 and the forked imap kmail client
> would be available shortly afterwards.

I did much of the work on the ioslave before work took over my life. :)
I know the whole IO Slave architecture has changed quite a bit since
then.  So the first thing to do is get it converted over.  I've been out
of KDE devel for about as long, so there's quite a bit of catchup to
do.  From what I recall, I had the code up to where it would get a list
of folders, maybe messages too.