List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Reflexion about the message freeze...
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-07-31 11:38:54

Thomas Diehl wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 15:18:04 +0100, David Faure wrote:
>
> >>But for now I think we should re-consider this message freeze thing,
> >>and find a solution that works, ie: set a new date pretty soon. But
> >>don't let us separate translations from the main release.
> >
> >Ok. What about when Stephan comes back from vacations, as a date, then ?
> >This way, the .pot will be updated a final time, at that point, and never after.
> >This would give us a bit more time for those important missing strings.
> >
> >Problem is, I don't know when he comes back. :-)
>
> Well, it was on July 20 when he wrote his message with the subject "off
> for 10 days". This would mean: today. We'll see. Anyway, I think we not
> should even try to decide this thing without him. ;)

I'm indeed alive even though I'm still not through with all the mails :)
But I don't see anything changed. We knew that a feature freeze is a
tough
thing, but we have to do this somewhen and I fail to see why we can't
get
it to work. The message freeze itself isn't 100% strict, but we should
definitly think three times before we change anything. The translators
will
finish their first run somewhen and will then proofread the
translations.
One or two new messages a day aren't the problem in that phase, but
10-15
become already real work and you _have_ to proofread somewhen and to
translate
it somewhen too. And if developers think, it can be done in a week, they
should
try.

Greetings, Stephan

--