List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: wallpapers
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2000-07-23 21:53:06

Torsten Rahn wrote:

> > I think maybe if we get people to contribute some high quality scans of
> > photos we could get some photo style backgrounds. I think thwe current
> > wallpapers are great, but it is true that there isn't quite the same mix
> > as before. We have people from a wide range of countries here, I think
> > it
> > would be possible to get some fantastic photos.
>
> Sorry, but photos usually don't make good wallpapers as they show
> real-world-images which are quite irritating most of the time as they
> pick the users attention to the background and make the user make
> them mix up with the content he is working on. Therefore some
> people can't work on tiles like ruines.jpg although they look
> quite good.

I'm not complaining about the current wallpapers, I think they're
great, but there is definitely a proportion of users who want to
use photos. I personally use a mixture of photos and tiles/abstract
images depending on what last caught my eye. I think this is because
I usually have so many windows open that I can't actually see the
background anyway. :-)

> Furthermore nontiled photos are usually memory-hogs. Therefore we
> use tiles only right now. And getting good tiles which consist of
> photos and are not too importunately is quite hard.

I have lots of memory, well 256M, but I totally understand that this
is not common.

> I agree that we should try to get *some* photomade tiles and some
> realistic textures for wallpapers (marble, paper, leather, etc.).

That would be cool. Maybe for 2.1 we could come up with a nice front
end that lets us store more wallpapers on the ftp site (and mirrors)
which the user can download from thumbnails.

> Due to the fact that a huge amount of people do like propaganda-tiles
> (and some of them do NOT know where to get them unless they have
> found the URL of propaganda) we should have some of these
> tiles  in KDE2, too (Bowie gave us permission to include these and
> asked me at the same time for inclusion when I asked him).

What is propaganda? I am one of the huge amount of people.

Cheers

Rich.