List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: wallpapers
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-07-23 21:43:25

> I think maybe if we get people to contribute some high quality scans of
> photos we could get some photo style backgrounds. I think thwe current
> wallpapers are great, but it is true that there isn't quite the same mix
> as before. We have people from a wide range of countries here, I think
> it
> would be possible to get some fantastic photos.

Sorry, but photos usually don't make good wallpapers as they show
real-world-images which are quite irritating most of the time as they
pick the users attention to the background and make the user make
them mix up with the content he is working on. Therefore some
people can't work on tiles like ruines.jpg although they look
quite good.
Furthermore nontiled photos are usually memory-hogs. Therefore we
use tiles only right now. And getting good tiles which consist of
photos and are not too importunately is quite hard.

I agree that we should try to get *some* photomade tiles and some
realistic textures for wallpapers (marble, paper, leather, etc.).
Due to the fact that a huge amount of people do like propaganda-tiles
(and some of them do NOT know where to get them unless they have
found the URL of propaganda) we should have some of these
tiles  in KDE2, too (Bowie gave us permission to include these and
asked me at the same time for inclusion when I asked him).

Greetings,
Tackat