List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Wish List obsolete?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-07-06 19:37:39

Answer from the maintainer of the wishlist :
On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 09:28:18PM +0200, Michael Redinger wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> thanks for forwarding this message. Could you please forward this to
> kde-core-devel as I'm not a member of this mailing list:
>
> First of all, I think it would be best to remove the link on www.kde.org for
> now. The wishlist as it now exists is really obsolete (I should have put
> something like this on the wishlist page long ago ...).
>
> Well, I did plan a complete update of the wishlist - administrators can
> change/delete wishes, users can change theirs, voting still in place,
> ablility to comment on wishes; something like slashdot (well, not really,
> but something similar).
> The database structure is ready. But for the last 2 month I didn't really work
> on it. The main reason: I did have a closer look at bugs.kde.org (when the
> wishlist started you couldn't enter wishes into the bug list).
>
> The main point I'm wondering about: is there any point in maintaining a
> seperate wishlist? Wouldn't it be to confusing? Granted - the voting ...
> etc. in the current wishlist is something that attracted quite a lot of
> people.
> And even if I do maintain a seperate wishlist and the core developers
> decided that this would be ok - wouldn't it be too confusing for the
> users (I saw many bugs inserted in the wishlist and do see a lot of
> wishes inserted _as wishes_ in bugs.kde.org)? Some users simply don't see
> the difference ...

Yes, but at the same time when somebody asks me "where do I report a wish list item"
and I answer "bugs.kde.org" I feel strange about that, since a bug is a bug
and a wish is a wish :-)

> So the last few weeks I thought about closing the wishlist. Hardly anybody
> seemed interrested in it anyway (I posted one RFC for the new wishlist
> about 6 or 7 month ago to kde-devel - no comments on that ...).
Well, there's some interest now, apparently :-P

> However, I still would like to work on this if this seems to be useful.
> Have been working with KDE for too long, and besides maintaining kde and
> kde-user (which isn't really a hard job - maybe 30 minutes a day) I'm
> not contributing anything right now ...

> So what I am thinking about:
>
> I think the wishlist still is a good idea - especially when combined with
> features like voting or comments on requests (which are not jet there jet).
> However, I believe that this cannot seperated from bugs.kde.org.
> I would happily contribute (even do the whole job). However, I am missing
> a few things:
>
> - what are the developers expecting? Will they use such a thing? There's no
>   sense in making a wishlist that isn't read by the developers ...
See below.

> - I do not know anything about the buglist design. Anyone helping me with that
>   (and ideas how to build an interface)?
Yes, that's very easy. Basically, each new wish can be submitted to the buglist,
by sending a mail to submit@bugs.kde.org with "Package:", "Version:"
and "Severity: wishlist" as the first 3 lines.

This will solve the problem above (notifying the maintainers) since
bugs.kde.org sends the bug or wish to the maintainer of the "Package"
(i.e. application).

> - what do think, what should this wishlist include. For now I've mentioned
>   voting and comment. There would be much more possibilities (eg. "carmas"
>   like in slashdot; people can get plus points (eg. if elected by a developer)
>   and change/delete ... wishes etc.
Wow, all that ? :-)
Why not... it doesn't seem strictly necessary though...
But that's just MHO.

> - if planned properly this should not be too hard (if the interface to
>   the buglist isn't too strange).
>
> An even greater job would be to redesign the buglist. The buglist is great
> right now and there are many very good ideas and features. But it is
> hardly attracting any users. However, expect that this would be quite a big
> job and that I do not have too much time. So this one would definitely not
> be ready when 2.0 is out ...
>
> Any comments on this? Please contact me directly. I will try to think about
> your comments and send a summary to kde-devel-core again.

What I suggest: to continue this discussion on kde-devel, so that you can cc
there directly, and I don't have to forward every mail :-)
(Anyone: please remove kde-core-devel from the next forward)

> (Note that I will be on holiday for 15 days, starting with Friday. Won't have
> too much possibilities to respond to your mails then.)

Happy holidays ! :)

http://home.clara.net/faure/, http://www.konqueror.org/