List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Could this help KDirWatcher?
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2000-06-28 10:50:56

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Richard Moore wrote:
> > This page points to a kernel module used to add detection of file
> > modifications to rsync. This sounds very like the kernel feature on
> > SCO by KDirWatch. I am thinking that maybe this module could allow
> > KDirWatch to operate on local file systems without using timers.
> >
> > http://195.96.23.199/rsync/
> >
> > Rich.
>
> KDE uses FAM. See http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/.
>
> It consists of a kernel module (imon) and a daemon (fam).

I've been reading about FAM and it looks like a great system.
Did you notice the page on the web site describing how to
use it with KDE (both using KDirWatcher and directly with a
QSocketNotifier). It even shows you how to make KBiff use FAM!

Cheers

Rich.

--
     Richard Moore		rich@ipso-facto.freeserve.co.uk