List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: panel keyboard navigation, focus handling and NET_WM
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2000-06-28 7:40:27

> P.S.: Speaking of always_stay_on_top windows, is somebody working on
> implementing support for NET::StaysOnTop in kwin? I heard the NET_WM spec is
> not very clear about always_stay_on_top windows but the fact that a state for
> such windows is defined in the NET namespace makes me assume that this is
> wrong?!

The NET implementation in KDE was slightly altered by Brad in me (that usually
happens when somebody implements a spec for the first time). We are trying to
get stays-on-top in, but currently some window manager authors disagree that
this is an important feature.

We'll keep it in the NET classes anyway, Anything that doesn't get the
"official" approval will be marked as KDE extension. The system tray stuff
belongs to that current, to mention another example.

So yes, I'll add a stays-on-top implementation soon. For things like the panel
and kasbar, stays-on-top is not necessary though. These windows live on the
"dock" (the type is NET::Dock). KWin will offer an option to keep dock windows
on top of everything else.

Matthias