List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    panel keyboard navigation, focus handling and NET_WM
From:       Matthias Elter <me () caldera ! de>
Date:       2000-06-27 19:45:27

Hi

1) The panel tooltips only work when the panel has focus. Currently the only
way to focus the panel is to click on it. I think we need special focus
handling for apps like kicker (perhaps for all always_stay_on_top windows).
Is it possible and does it make sence to have something like on-mouseover
focus for special apps like kicker?

2) I have implemented keyboard navigation for kicker. The problems start as
soon as one moves applets around as the focus ring is wrong when a container
(button, applet, whatever) is moved. I'm thinking about a good way to reorder
the focus ring depending on the position on the panel. On a horizontal panel
the tab order of a widget that accepts focus should depend on it's horizontal
position on the panel. Suggestions?

Greetings,
Matthias

P.S.: Speaking of always_stay_on_top windows, is somebody working on
implementing support for NET::StaysOnTop in kwin? I heard the NET_WM spec is
not very clear about always_stay_on_top windows but the fact that a state for
such windows is defined in the NET namespace makes me assume that this is
wrong?!