List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: QwSpriteField soname
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-06-16 14:01:01

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 03:56:00PM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> >
> > I've just noticed that kdesupport 1.1.2 and 1.91 both have a
> > libQwSpritefield.so.1 despite the fact that they're nowhere near binary
> > compatible (they use different Qts).
> >
> > Shouldn't we increase the so version?
> >
> Hmm, technically they define both the same interface, so they are
> binary compatible. It's just that the library below changed. You
> do not increase every soname in the system when you switch from
> libc5 to lib6 either, so why for QwSpritefield.

Because we ship QwSpritefield in kdesupport, and the rest of kdesupport
changed. With the same soname, one can't install both kdesupport 1.1.2 and
kdesupport 1.91.
You're right when libs are separate packages, but kdesupport is not packaged
in a modular way (that's another debate ..).

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org