List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: vi mode lines
From:       Dirk Mueller <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-06-17 15:27:52

On Sam, 17 Jun 2000, Geert Jansen wrote:

> ts=8: Means tabsize = 8
> sts=4: Means soft tab size 4 spaces. A tab will advance the cursor by 4
> positions. Depending on the number of blanks before the cursor, vi will use
> some combination of tabs and spaces to achieve this.
> sw=4: Shift width (indent size) = 4 positions.

grmbl. so vi produces those strange-looking files :-(

now actually some files use only tabs for indenting, some tabs and spaces
and some others only spaces.

when I set tab-indenting to 4, I can read the files that use only tabs for
indenting, but those who use tabs+spaces fail. using tab-indenting of 8
fixes the latter but fails for the first :-(

is there a way to let Xemacs detect whatever logic has been used to produce
the file?

why do people use tabs anyway... oh well. (no flame-wars please ;) )

Dirk