List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: problem compiling kcmlocale
From:       Michael Matz <matz () ifh ! de>
Date:       2000-06-15 14:20:39

Hi,

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Bernd Gehrmann wrote:
> > Bernd G. was a bit overzealous on this one, apparently :-)
> > Can you make private only what should be private ? Generally many things
> > should be protected instead of private, IMHO, to allow reimplementations...
>
> Reimplementations require a well-defined and documented API.
> Undocumented hacks are not a replacement for an API.

Err. Then write one ;) But if right now some apps require these hacks, and
you remove these hacks (with good intentions, no question) and this breaks
apps, how is that going to work? Another thing, on the topic of a clean
API: to have some members protected, not private, to allow them to be used
in reimplementations is no hack in my eyes. Making them private only
leads to bloat in the methods by requiring setter/getter functions
without any real use, because thats only internal API.

Ciao,
Michael.