List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    locale stuff for smb [was Re: IMPORTANT REMINDER: no more binary
From:       Nicolas Brodu <nicolas.brodu () free ! fr>
Date:       2000-05-31 20:52:58

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Wed, 31 May 2000, Nicolas Brodu wrote:
> > My question is, when you say 'no sanity check', does it include not
> > checking for it to be in decoded form?
>
> DECODED URLS DO NOT EXIST! *sigh*

Sorry. I understand your concern after the last few threads on this
subject. However the SMB packets do include a field for the name of workgroup,
host, share, and those need to be in ASCIIZ with some restrictions. The filename
is another problem, but must match exactly. So, opening,
smb:/myhost/myshare/my%20file won't work if your intent was to put a space in
the name. But a file named 'éó  ù' with accented characters and a space will be
opened OK if I send a request with this name in this form exactly.

I admit I don't understand fully how this locale stuff works, and unicode=>ascii
translation. Is it a problem of specifying the code/page/locale/whatever to
decode into? All I know is that it must end up with the ASCIIZ charset used by
windows at the end, and I have a contributed routine that can transform
iso8859_1 to it (when using samba code, there is also such a conversion routine
for other than iso8859_1). I never had the occasion to use, nor had any
comment/bug report on, something else than iso8859_1, so didn't worry about
it... maybe the users of such systems could try it out and tell what's going on.

This won't introduce binary incompatibility for kio_smb as it's purely internal,
but I'd appreciate a clue as to how to proceed.

Cheers,
Nicolas
--
A shortcut is the longest distance between two points. (unknown author)