Waldo Bastian wrote: > > On Wed, 31 May 2000, Nicolas Brodu wrote: > > My question is, when you say 'no sanity check', does it include not > > checking for it to be in decoded form? > > DECODED URLS DO NOT EXIST! *sigh* Sorry. I understand your concern after the last few threads on this subject. However the SMB packets do include a field for the name of workgroup, host, share, and those need to be in ASCIIZ with some restrictions. The filename is another problem, but must match exactly. So, opening, smb:/myhost/myshare/my%20file won't work if your intent was to put a space in the name. But a file named 'éóÂ ù' with accented characters and a space will be opened OK if I send a request with this name in this form exactly. I admit I don't understand fully how this locale stuff works, and unicode=>ascii translation. Is it a problem of specifying the code/page/locale/whatever to decode into? All I know is that it must end up with the ASCIIZ charset used by windows at the end, and I have a contributed routine that can transform iso8859_1 to it (when using samba code, there is also such a conversion routine for other than iso8859_1). I never had the occasion to use, nor had any comment/bug report on, something else than iso8859_1, so didn't worry about it... maybe the users of such systems could try it out and tell what's going on. This won't introduce binary incompatibility for kio_smb as it's purely internal, but I'd appreciate a clue as to how to proceed. Cheers, Nicolas -- A shortcut is the longest distance between two points. (unknown author)