List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: kdelibs/kio
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2000-05-31 17:24:30

David Faure wrote:

> On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 10:32:19PM +0200, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > On Fre, 26 Mai 2000, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> >
> > > Agreed. I think we should wait until there is real OS support for
> > > 'shredding'.
> >
> > Might be a stupid question, but why don't we use wipe
> > (http://wipe.sourceforge.net) ? I think they have considered the problems
> > already and found solutions when there are solutions available. we have more
> > important things to do than messing around with that stuff ourselves.
>
> Well, we don't lose time messing with this ourselves, since all the
> shredding code was contributed by Andreas Pour. (cc'ed, in case he
> has an opinion about wipe).

I personally don't see the benefit to it:  as wipe is not a standard
distributed package, we would need to include it in kdesupport, and
hence have to maintain it anyway.  Plus it's GPL, which means it can't
go into kdelibs.  Finally, it uses the same algorithm KShred does, so
there appears to be no benefit to switching to it.

OTOH, it has some nice info on the web page about how to maximize
possibilities that even a laboratory cannot recreate a shredded file,
and this might be worth throwing into the documentation.

Ciao,

Andreas