List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror truncates requested URL
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-05-31 13:21:59

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 08:41:17AM -0400, pbrown@redhat.com wrote:
> So why are we using kfmclient to do this, instead of KRun or the
> KApp:startServiceBy... methods?  Or one of the other ways to launch things
> that I have forgotten about?

When does the irony from you stops, and you start thinking a bit ?

You want to launch konqueror each time the user wants to display a directory ?

Of course not.

We launch kfmclient, which takes care of speaking to konqueror or launching a new
one.

> > > Why is it hight overhead to call kfmclient? I don't see any faster way to
> > > open up a new konqueror browser window.
>
> Starts up a shell process, starts executing a new binary (which has all
> the startup overhead of any other KDE program).

And ? What happens when you run an image, a text, an HTML page, ANYTHING ???
Just the same : a process is started.

[rest cut]
I was wrong - this was used for text/html as well - but Simon
fixed that and KFileManager is already dead.

Preston, please remember we do this for fun. You may not (anymore),
but we still do. Your comments about the icon-loader dialog
and now those about kfmclient are really starting to piss me off.

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org