List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: IMPORTANT REMINDER: no more binary incompatible changes after
From:       Nicolas Brodu <nicolas.brodu () free ! fr>
Date:       2000-05-31 12:42:20

Stephan Kulow wrote:

> Waldo Bastian wrote:

> > > What binary incompatible API changes are necessary?
> >
> > The IO-slave interface needs to be changed from qstrings to KURL. KURL also
> > needs some fixes, I could use the d-pointer for that, but I rather not
> > introduce an extra 'new' in all the constructors if that's isn't strictly
> > necassery.
> >
> I have no problem with changing the IO-slave interface if it's put big
> into
> documentation that you should not check for any sanity of the URL and
> just
> think of the passed URL as container.

At present, I reconstruct an internal URL from what the smb slave
receive. For example, one problem is that what KURL think is an host might
actually be a workgroup, so calling a library function is needed to decide on
this. If the slave receive the whole URL, then it's much simpler, since it
can just be passed on to the library (which will detect host/workgroup by
itself).

My question is, when you say 'no sanity check', does it include not checking for
it to be in decoded form?

Anyway, no objection here for receiving the whole URL in the slave.

Regards,
Nicolas
--
A shortcut is the longest distance between two points. (unknown author)