List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: slight change to "dropping links" on kdesktop
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-05-30 15:07:16

On Tue, 30 May 2000, pbrown@redhat.com wrote:
> On Tue, 30 May 2000, David Faure wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 10:41:59PM -0400, pbrown@redhat.com wrote:
> > > right now, when you drop a link from netscape or konqi on the desktop,
> > > and select "link," you end up with a desktop file for that URL with a name
> > > set to the URL.  What would be much cooler is if the name was set to the
> > > actual title of the HTML page.
> > >
> > > How bad would this be to implement?
> >
> > Not too hard I think. But this requires changing the signature of
> > bool KIO::link( const KURL::List &srcUrls, const KURL & destDir )
> > so that you can specify the name of the destination link, since the
> > default implementation is
> > // The destination URL is the destination dir + the filename
>
> The way I thought about doing it would be for kdesktop to see that the
> link is a http:// protocol address, and use kio_http to go and grab the
> document title, instead of encoding the title in the signature of
> KIO::link.
>
> What do you think of that approach?

Well this is problematic for those people who are not constantly connected to
the net.  And this would be a majority of the people :))  Of course, you can
default back into using the previous format or the one that was suggested by
David if the GET operation fails, but this IMHO would not be inconsistent.
Now if only pipeling was a standard part of HTTP 1.1 spec, it just might have
made this idea much more attractive.

Regards,
Dawit A.